Articles by Jyotsna
- The Value of Percolation (guest blog post on Jane Friedman’s blog)
- The Power of a Role Model (guest blog post for Indiaspora blog)
- Point of View: Bridging the Generation and Culture Gap (Khabar magazine, Atlanta, GA)
- “Writing with an American Accent” essay on Women Writers, Women’s Books
Reviews, Interviews, etc.
- Segment on “Broad and High” (Columbus, OH arts show on WOSU/PBS TV)
- Interview at Ohio Center for the Book “Page Count” podcast
- Ohio literary fiction authors panel discussion (part of the Ohioana Book Festival)
- Short video introduction to These Americans (part of the Lakewood, Ohio Public Library’s Meet the Author series)
- Video interview and discussion about These Americans hosted by the Washington, DC South Asian Arts Council
- In-depth profile about me and These Americans in the Michigan Daily (University of Michigan student newspaper)
- Lovely review of These Americans by Brown Girl Bookshelf
- Listen to me discuss my writing and revising process on The Author Inside You podcast
- Insightful, thorough review of These Americans in NRI Pulse (Atlanta, GA)
- Perceptive, wide-ranging interview about These Americans on Shilpa Agarwal’s LifeForce podcast
- Fantastic review/interview about These Americans on Cleveland.com (Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper website)
- Listen to me read from the beginning of my novella, “Hawk,” which is the final piece in These Americans. This reading was at the 2021 Sewanee Writers’ Conference, where I was a Fiction Fellow, and my section starts at 29:04.
- Wonderful review/interview about These Americans in News India Times (based in New Jersey)
- Interview about These Americans on the Sound of Ideas podcast (Cleveland, OH NPR station) – my section starts at about 35:25
- I appeared on the talk show Sundays with Seema, which airs on TV Asia
- Amazing review of These Americans in India Currents magazine (California)
- Listen to me talk about five of my favorite South Asian Books on the Desi Books podcast (my section starts at 46:35).
- Lovely review of These Americans in the Akron Beacon Journal (Ohio)
- Interview on Tea with Jess Podcast ( about These Americans and second generation literature)
- Q & A with Deborah Kalb about These Americans
- Listen to me read from “Mirror,” the first story in my collection These Americans
- The Authors Guild member spotlight (interview with a bit of writing advice)
- Nice article about These Americans in Inland 360 (northern Idaho)
- Wonderful review of These Americans by Diane LaRue of BookChickDi
- An audio version of my story “Home” (which is included in my new collection These Americans) is included in the April 2012 issue of the Drum Literary Magazine.
Other Books I’ve Written
I am also the author of three books for children — two middle-grade novels, Aruna’s Journeys and The Moon Over Crete; and a biography, Ela Bhatt: Uniting Women in India. I have written two reference books for high school and college students: Utopias in American History, and Poverty and the Government in America.
Short Stories I’ve Written
My short stories (for grown-ups) have appeared in a number of literary magazines. Below are some recent ones.
- “The Gift,” a speculative flash story, appears in the summer 2022 issue of The Journal (Ohio State University)
- “Crystal Vase: Snapshots” appears in the Fall 2018 issue of Copper Nickel.
- “What She Remembers” (flash fiction) appears in the Summer 2015 issue of Stone Boat Literary Journal.
- “Revolution” is included in Sixfold’s Winter 2014 Fiction issue.
- “Sister” is included in Lalitamba 5, a magazine of spiritual fiction, poetry, and essays.
My short stories are included in the following anthologies: Confessions: Fact or Fiction? edited by Herta Feely and Marian O’Shea Wernicke; Mamas and Papas: On the Sublime and Heartbreaking Art of Parenting, edited by Alys Masek and Kelly Mayhew; and Living in America: Poetry and Fiction by South Asian American Writers, edited by Roshni Rustomji Kerns.
My Other Web Sites
Check out my web site, HerStory Novels, which lists and reviews historical fiction by women and about women.
My web site Second Generation Stories: Literature by Children of Immigrants lists and reviews books by people born in the U.S. to immigrant parents, and by people who have immigrated to the U.S. as children.
Other articles, interviews, etc.
- My review of Brown Girl, Brownstones by Paule Marshall on the Prairie Schooner book review blog
- Guest post, Immigrant Stories, on Books in the City blog
- Interview with Deborah Kalb about And Laughter Fell from the Sky
- Interview on Visi Tilak’s Suprose blog (dedicated to South Asian writers)
- A print interview on Women’s Fiction Writers.
- An audio interview on Book Club Girl.